Qamar Hashim is an 8-year-old Iraqi photographer. He tours famous streets to picture Baghdadis with his single camera and is the youngest Iraqi photographer to win several local awards, according to the Iraqi Society Photographic (ISP).
Below, Qamar responds to a series of questions.
- When did you take your first photograph and what did it show?
I do not remember exactly the first picture but I had been mimicking my father since I was 4 or 5 years-old and started to take pictures of the Tigris river, the gulls, birds, old houses and heritage places.
- Why do you think photography is important?
Photography is very important. It documents life and pauses time. We can show the city, life and the people.
- What do you want to show people about Iraq?
I want to say through my pictures that Iraq is precious and Iraqis are very kind. Iraq is peaceful and has a great history.
- How do you feel about the U.S. troops leaving Iraq?
I am afraid of the U.S. soldiers, they destroyed the house my family rented in 2003, when I was a fetus. Thank God my family survived and I am happy now for their departure. I am free and not afraid of their tanks.
- What do you want to be when you finish school?
I like to act and I would like to be a child-activist.
- Which is your favorite photo you have taken and why?
My favorite picture is of a man sleeping who sells books at al-Mutanabi street. Also a picture of a bee on a rose, I ran a lot to follow the bee until I got this picture.
- Are there any photographers you look up to?
There a lot of good photographers and I learned from them (Adel Qassim, Fouad Shakir, Kareem al-Ba’aj, and Hameed Majeed).
- Are there any photos you wish to take but haven’t been able to yet?
The dangerous pictures like fire, blasts, other incidents but I have been sent off the site. They say I am a child. Also I wish to get a picture of the triangle of migrant birds.
- What does the future of Iraq look like?
I see a flourishing future for Iraq especially when my family owns a house. I love Iraq, my home, and it is more precious than anything else.
- trillhabibi reblogged this from iraqonly
- weon likes this
- yeezusshrug likes this
- sabretoothgrape likes this
- theupstart13 reblogged this from epouvante
- epouvante reblogged this from tooloose-lautrec
- iknowadirtyword reblogged this from floodlightcollective2
- floodlightcollective2 reblogged this from punklavieanterieure
- petite-poppy likes this
- frightened likes this
- lackofconsequence reblogged this from fucknojasonbiggs
- upside-downchristopherrobin likes this
- fucknojasonbiggs reblogged this from visirion
- so-sherlockian reblogged this from hidingincorners
- hidingincorners reblogged this from brandisbigbootybitches
- mooseda likes this
- faut reblogged this from hayhasyou
- muda-muda-muda reblogged this from amadmansgarden
- amadmansgarden reblogged this from elis-magic-catnado
- engrprof likes this
- dywiann-xyara likes this
- moebius-stripper likes this
- imamathlover reblogged this from foucaultsbae
- frenchiiexd likes this
- commonoctopus reblogged this from aka4ever17
- mumblingmelodies likes this
- willgrahamisautistic likes this
- odetoblack reblogged this from atane
- lady-sings-the-blues-so-well reblogged this from explodinganyway
- silkandsun likes this
- explodinganyway reblogged this from roamingreader
- theenigmatical likes this
- pussyrebellion likes this
- sindira reblogged this from seafoamtides
- enchantedtea likes this
- evelikesapples likes this
- seanchai-lieb likes this
- yosisoyzorra reblogged this from seafoamtides
- jaygatsbyandtheoldsports reblogged this from seafoamtides
- jaygatsbyandtheoldsports likes this
- piercedear reblogged this from seafoamtides
- piercedear likes this
- seafoamtides reblogged this from walcottkwassakwassa
- dialecticalmadness likes this
- masherbrum786 reblogged this from thechanelmuse
- masherbrum786 likes this
- positive-princesa likes this
- roxyfoxylalonde likes this
- ching-shia reblogged this from caramelgoddessxo
- ching-shia likes this