Qamar Hashim is an 8-year-old Iraqi photographer. He tours famous streets to picture Baghdadis with his single camera and is the youngest Iraqi photographer to win several local awards, according to the Iraqi Society Photographic (ISP).
Below, Qamar responds to a series of questions.
- When did you take your first photograph and what did it show?
I do not remember exactly the first picture but I had been mimicking my father since I was 4 or 5 years-old and started to take pictures of the Tigris river, the gulls, birds, old houses and heritage places.
- Why do you think photography is important?
Photography is very important. It documents life and pauses time. We can show the city, life and the people.
- What do you want to show people about Iraq?
I want to say through my pictures that Iraq is precious and Iraqis are very kind. Iraq is peaceful and has a great history.
- How do you feel about the U.S. troops leaving Iraq?
I am afraid of the U.S. soldiers, they destroyed the house my family rented in 2003, when I was a fetus. Thank God my family survived and I am happy now for their departure. I am free and not afraid of their tanks.
- What do you want to be when you finish school?
I like to act and I would like to be a child-activist.
- Which is your favorite photo you have taken and why?
My favorite picture is of a man sleeping who sells books at al-Mutanabi street. Also a picture of a bee on a rose, I ran a lot to follow the bee until I got this picture.
- Are there any photographers you look up to?
There a lot of good photographers and I learned from them (Adel Qassim, Fouad Shakir, Kareem al-Ba’aj, and Hameed Majeed).
- Are there any photos you wish to take but haven’t been able to yet?
The dangerous pictures like fire, blasts, other incidents but I have been sent off the site. They say I am a child. Also I wish to get a picture of the triangle of migrant birds.
- What does the future of Iraq look like?
I see a flourishing future for Iraq especially when my family owns a house. I love Iraq, my home, and it is more precious than anything else.
- holickka reblogged this from fotojournalismus
- deathistheillusion reblogged this from bulletproof-eyes
- taichimashima reblogged this from meggannn
- cervidaen reblogged this from meggannn
- a-dream-of-a-dream reblogged this from meggannn
- johnegbertthefeminist reblogged this from schniggles
- schniggles reblogged this from tahnoseyeliner
- footprintstoread reblogged this from hvlimv
- cantlove reblogged this from supershrug
- skylar-save likes this
- theflamesinsidemyeyes reblogged this from demigxddess
- the-hidden-eye reblogged this from demigxddess
- artraysofgarfield reblogged this from hereiswhereiloveyou
- artraysofgarfield likes this
- taiyyaba likes this
- comatose-panda reblogged this from everthehero
- iwishilivedbyapier likes this
- moshbob likes this
- thedancerwhofangirls likes this
- theoceanisparadise likes this
- demigxddess reblogged this from thelittlebluebird
- demigxddess likes this
- thelittlebluebird reblogged this from stilinskihaleandpack
- bulletproof-eyes reblogged this from coffeedepablo
- hvlimv reblogged this from azziplove
- beatnicnazareth likes this
- supershrug reblogged this from hereiswhereiloveyou
- justtellher26 likes this
- demonwolfs-den likes this
- fatmaaaz likes this
- thelittlebluebird likes this
- staineddove likes this
- 0xalis likes this
- lost-wanderer14 reblogged this from givemetaqwa-givemesabr
- lost-wanderer14 likes this
- words-e likes this
- anuntamedbird reblogged this from givemetaqwa-givemesabr
- ohyeahiguessthatsfunny reblogged this from hereiswhereiloveyou
- thetinywordnerd likes this
- spiraling-fractals reblogged this from hereiswhereiloveyou
- yourheartisthreesizestoobig reblogged this from coffeedepablo
- grey-eyed-fangirl likes this
- dylan-omg-brien reblogged this from stilinskihaleandpack
- thealib reblogged this from hereiswhereiloveyou
- thealib likes this
- the-reality-dysfunction likes this
- morizamachado reblogged this from stilinskihaleandpack
- hereiswhereiloveyou reblogged this from worldenoughtime