Qamar Hashim is an 8-year-old Iraqi photographer. He tours famous streets to picture Baghdadis with his single camera and is the youngest Iraqi photographer to win several local awards, according to the Iraqi Society Photographic (ISP).
Below, Qamar responds to a series of questions.
- When did you take your first photograph and what did it show?
I do not remember exactly the first picture but I had been mimicking my father since I was 4 or 5 years-old and started to take pictures of the Tigris river, the gulls, birds, old houses and heritage places.
- Why do you think photography is important?
Photography is very important. It documents life and pauses time. We can show the city, life and the people.
- What do you want to show people about Iraq?
I want to say through my pictures that Iraq is precious and Iraqis are very kind. Iraq is peaceful and has a great history.
- How do you feel about the U.S. troops leaving Iraq?
I am afraid of the U.S. soldiers, they destroyed the house my family rented in 2003, when I was a fetus. Thank God my family survived and I am happy now for their departure. I am free and not afraid of their tanks.
- What do you want to be when you finish school?
I like to act and I would like to be a child-activist.
- Which is your favorite photo you have taken and why?
My favorite picture is of a man sleeping who sells books at al-Mutanabi street. Also a picture of a bee on a rose, I ran a lot to follow the bee until I got this picture.
- Are there any photographers you look up to?
There a lot of good photographers and I learned from them (Adel Qassim, Fouad Shakir, Kareem al-Ba’aj, and Hameed Majeed).
- Are there any photos you wish to take but haven’t been able to yet?
The dangerous pictures like fire, blasts, other incidents but I have been sent off the site. They say I am a child. Also I wish to get a picture of the triangle of migrant birds.
- What does the future of Iraq look like?
I see a flourishing future for Iraq especially when my family owns a house. I love Iraq, my home, and it is more precious than anything else.
- blalalalovethislife reblogged this from slide-x-ways
- oddloz likes this
- zitterberg likes this
- wonderlander reblogged this from life
- ajh-eccentricities reblogged this from ajh-photography
- student118 likes this
- temple-rabbit likes this
- art-of-anarchy likes this
- lightoberon reblogged this from dreamhampton1
- uncludeder likes this
- paraphernaliia likes this
- trevormcfuckonald likes this
- qlon likes this
- parallel-space likes this
- medicineisnotmerchandise likes this
- azureskyandsea reblogged this from fotojournalismus
- singlemotherdamncity likes this
- amiableyes likes this
- osthodos likes this
- deenndunia likes this
- immigrantsoul likes this
- instantcofi reblogged this from syalalaandchiken
- jhilik likes this
- jazba-e-junoon reblogged this from claviclesandanaarr
- claviclesandanaarr reblogged this from mehreenkasana
- jasmonsterxd likes this
- wesync likes this
- mjcsarmiento likes this
- pattreycia likes this
- puzzledinalabyrinth likes this
- captainamederika reblogged this from shutterlass
- captainamederika likes this
- 972801 likes this
- re-dblogs likes this
- happymissy likes this
- shutterlass reblogged this from bonesandfilms and added:
- mithrauko likes this
- myhandmadejewelry likes this
- hannahsauruss likes this
- csifan3 likes this
- whyrez likes this
- alittlebitfabulous reblogged this from qawiya and added:
- kaththecrapout likes this
- poorslobwithout-a-name reblogged this from fotojournalismus
- mightyanddespair likes this
- fotojournalismus posted this